Pest control FAQ’s


Why use a professional pest controller?

A certificated professional pest technician will have the most up to date and most effective products to deal with pests. They are also trained to a BPCA/RSPH level of competence, meaning they are trained in how, when and where to use any of the rodenticides or insecticides available to them, to a professional level, getting the best results.


Are the pesticides and rodenticides (poisons) safe to use around pets and children?

Yes, if a trained professional pest technician is carrying out the treatments.
We always ensure that rodenticides are kept well away from children and pets as best as possible, in locked tamper resistant bait stations in discreet or non-accessible areas. After a rodent clearance has been completed we remove all rodenticides from the site.

When carrying out insecticidal treatments we always apply a lethal dosage for the insect and only apply it where it needs to be applied. We would never carry out a treatment and use products or quantities of insecticides which would be harmful to humans.
If pets are in the home we will often ask them to be removed from the treatment area for the application and drying time of a treatment. (Usually up to 2-3 hours) 

All the pesticides and rodenticides we use are approved by the Health & Safety Executive


What happens to rodents when they die?

After a rodent has ingested a sufficient amount of poison, they tend to die within the area of treatment, this can be internally or externally.
We carry out our best efforts to locate any dead or dying rodents and deal with them accordingly.

On rare occasions a rodent will die within a cavity or an inaccessible location when carrying out internal treatments. Within the industry there are some strong odor blockers and absorbents to help aid with this problem if and when it occurs.

An alternative method is to carry out a rodent trapping programme. This method can prevent the risk of a dead smell which can be an unfortunate outcome of poisoning. However the traps need to be checked more frequently than rodenticide baits and so the cost can be a lot higher than a standard clearance fee due to the increase of visits required. 


Do I have to be there?

If a pest problem is outside, for instance a wasps nest in the back garden or on the outside of a house, then NO, you do not have to be there for us to carry out a treatment. For security and insurance reasons we will not go into a house without the householder, or their representative, being present.


Do you charge a call-out fee?

We do not tend to charge for a call-out visit. However, if we travel a substantial distance to attend a call out and no treatment is found to be required or no pest is present we may charge a small fee of £15.00 – £20.00 for our fuel costs and time.

Due to the nature of our work, we sometimes need to spend long periods of time on site to carry out a thorough inspection or survey. If no problems are found or pests identified, then no treatment would be required. In this instance a call-out charge of £25.00 would be applied.


How long does a treatment take?

It depends on the pest being treated. One treatment is usually enough for most insects, some will require a follow up visit to ensure the treatment was effective. Wasp nest treatments can be as quick as a few minuets depending on access and location. 

For rats and mice it will usually take between 3 -4 weeks. We need to locate where they might be coming from or gaining access and place bait points or traps within the area of infestation. A second visit will be made to check whether the rodenticide has been eaten or if any catches have been made on the traps. We will also visit again, after reasonable time has passed, to remove the rodenticide or traps. 


I do not like killing any form of animal. Can I ignore a rodent problem?

No. With the many diseases rodents carry, it is not acceptable to allow rodents to multiply. Which they will do very rapidly. They can also cause serious damage within the fabric of buildings, damage to water pipes and electrical cables can be costly. 

Pigeons, if left alone their numbers can increase quickly. Their dropping can also cause serious health issues if left untreated and removed.  


I have Bats, can you help?

No. Bats are a protected species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) in England and Wales. It is a criminal offence if you:

  1. Deliberately capture, injure or kill a bat
  2. Intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat in its roost or deliberately disturb a group of bats
  3. Damage or destroy a bat roosting place (even if bats are not occupying the roost at the time)
  4. Possess or advertise/sell/exchange a bat (dead or alive) or any part of a bat
  5. Intentionally or recklessly obstruct access to a bat roost


Do you treat Bees?

We do not treat Honey Bees and we always try to avoid treating Bumble Bees or we try and move them to a better environment when possible

Local Bee Keepers are great people to get hold of for Honey Bees. They will often happily come and take a swarm away from you garden and put them into one of there own Bee hives. 


Do you deal with timber pests?

No, we do not deal with timber pests. You will require a specialist to help you with wood boring insects. There are plenty or reputable companies whose details can be found online. 


%d bloggers like this: